Wojsko Polskie w Egipcie

Dowolny temat zdjęć

Moderator: korvettenkapitan

Kortesas

Wojsko Polskie w Egipcie

Post autor: Kortesas »

Witam :)

I have recently found these pictures in this poor condition and I would like to ask for any information about them. Is it a 3rd Carpathian Rifle Division (3 Dywizja Strzelców Karpackich) ?
Thank you for your help :)
Nie masz wymaganych uprawnień, aby zobaczyć pliki załączone do tego posta.
asdic321

Re: Wojsko Polskie w Egipcie

Post autor: asdic321 »

Kortesas, you've got a very interesting and impressive collection! :kon: But it is difficult to answer your question with no doubts... :/

For sure they are some soldiers of the Polish 2nd Corps in the Middle East (see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/II_Corps_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;% 28Poland% 29). But, as you can see, their uniforms are varied, mixed with types and mostly without any badges on them.

Besides, not all the photos were taken in Egypt. For example, the picture from the first table in the middle comes from Tel Aviv, which was then in Palestine. Other one (second table in the middle at the bottom) has on its reverse the signature of Quizil-Ribat in Iraq...

It seems to me, however, that uniforms 3DSK may wear the soldiers on the photo with the Sphinx in the background (the first table at the bottom). I can not enlarge this picture well but I think one of them has on his shoulder an emblem of the division - the green spruce tree on white-red flag. Can you check it? :D
Kortesas

Dear Asdic321,

Nice to see you :) Thank you alot for your quick and professional answer. Well, basically, I posted these photos to show you and other forum members as this is part of your history :) Maybe it will provide you more information about Polish soldiers during WWII. I find them very very interesting :) I couldn't believe my eyes when I found them abandoned in UK. Shame that couldn't find and save more of them..
I looked closely and also noticed that some pictures are not from Egypt. Problem with me that it is a bit difficult for me to understand Polish. Especially when it is hand written. Yes, I also noticed that soldiers are with varied uniforms but all of them are with British uniforms. So, I guess, that's why difficult to say more about the regiments. Talking about the picture with Sphinx, I think that there is 3DSK emblem. Few days ago I checked it with magnifying glass and it looked like green spruce tree on white-red flag. That is why I though it might be 3DSK pictures. I'll make tomorrow a new picture and maybe it will be more clear.

Thank you very much for your answer. Now it is more clear for me :) I really appreciate that :papa:
asdic321

Dear Kortesas,

On two pictures (table 2 at the top right and table 4 at the top in the middle) appears the name of the village Yibna/Jibna near Ramlah in Palestine. Since 1943 there were a camp and a headquarter of the 7th Infantry Division - a big unit of some replacement character rather than a serious tactical bound. It consisted mostly of soldiers returning from hospitals and newly incorporated. Healthy and able to service men were than returned back to their units, and for the others were organized convalescent companies.

Other image (table 4 at the top right) is signed “Italja” (Italy), what suggesting that the soldier from the picture belonged to the units fighting there in forces of the 2nd Polish Corps. Probably in the ranks of the 7th Carpathian Rifle Division, 5th (“Kresowa”) Infantry Division or the 2nd (“Warszawska”) Armoured Brigade.

There is a special web page, dedicated to the 2nd Polish Corps, where are collected some souvenirs and relations derived from its soldiers. In the folder "Save the Past" (http://2korpuspolski.pl.tl/Uratuj-przesz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;% 26% 23322% 3Bo% 26% 23347% 3B% 26% 23263% 3B.htm) they write about it like this:
"Do not let it happen that your close relatives memories will be forgotten and lost forever. If some of your relatives was a soldier of the 2nd Polish Corps, write here down his relations, memories, scan photos and documents. And we, with your permission, will publish and keep them for future generations.
Contact us:
drugikorpuspolski@op.pl"
Kortesas

Asdic321,

I made a closer picture and you are absolutely right. It is a green spruce tree on white-red flag :) So, I guess, it is possible to say with certainty that those soldiers or only he is from 3DSK. I am really happy that step by step it is possible to ''draw the whole story line'' of these pictures. I read on wikipedia and it became more clear for me.
Thank you very much for your help identifying pictures. You have a great knowledge of your history. Now I know alot more about these pictures. Thank you :)
I have visited the web page you linked me but, unfortunately, every time I send letter to them, it comes back. I'll just try to email them via main page and will share pictures with them to keep the pictures accessible for everyone :)

Thank you :)
asdic321

Dear Kortesas - my pleasure! :D

I want to thank YOU for showing us these photos and reminding the history of Polish Armed Forces in the Middle East! I am also very glad that you decided to share their scans with the memorial site of the 2nd Corps. :guru:

I hope it will succeed and wish you all the best! :D
Kortesas

asdic321 pisze:Dear Kortesas - my pleasure! :D

I want to thank YOU for showing us these photos and reminding the history of Polish Armed Forces in the Middle East! I am also very glad that you decided to share their scans with the memorial site of the 2nd Corps. :guru:

I hope it will succeed and wish you all the best! :D
Asdic, I sent them email via main page and will wait for answer. By the way, I found a very very interesting thing. Look in this link first picture: http://2korpuspolski.pl.tl/Galeria/kat-6-4.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and compare it with the second on top of it that I will attach. They are from the same place but different angle.. :szok: Thank you for this great link :)
asdic321

Yes, it's really amazing - with no doubts on the pictures are the ruins of the same temple, viewed from different perspectives! :D But thanks to the service of the 2nd Corps I also realized (finally!) where they are come from...

At first I couldn’t understand why some of them are signed "Barbara", if on the pictures does not appear any women? :zebek: And then I "discovered" ;) that is a name of the military camp, placed by the village called Barbara - near the town of Ghaza in Palestine!

Camp Barbara, from which in your collection are at least two signed photographs, was established already in 1942. At first as a hospital for exhausted on "inhuman land" deportees and released prisoners of the GULag. Later it was a School of the Cadet Corps - for children and youth, who managed to evacuate as a members of soldiers families from the Soviet Union.

I think that more of your pictures comes from there - at least those where we can see very young people in uniforms. Besides, I found in the Net a next site (this time in English! ;) ) which may be interested in your photos (and could help in their ID):

http://kresy-siberia.org/hom/element/mi ... a/?lang=pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kortesas

Thank you Asdic for your help. I actually didn't even expect to see any photos related. That's truly amazing that photos has something in common and now we all know, might see a little bit of soldiers life during the war. I really hope that these photos gave any information for you and other forum members.
At first, I also though that Barbara is a name but now we know it is a camp. Thanks to your links I was able to read more about it and see more pictures.

Thank you, Asdic ;) You really did help me alot :papa:
ODPOWIEDZ